Friday, May 4, 2012

Dignity, Honesty, Integrity, Peace

Yes, this yoga is hard and as Teachers we want to motivate students to have great classes, and achieve their potential but one Teacher this week said to "Always leave your students with their dignity".  I loved this because to me it meant that it's not about "killing" students and leaving them humiliated or broken, it's about building students up and recognizing their hard work.  To me that is dignified...and more my style anyway! Honesty got mentioned in the hot room this week, during triangle pose specifically.  How honest am I about my triangle posture? Is my "right-thigh bicep parallel to the floor"?  Is it?  Is it really?  Maybe you have to be a yogi to get this, but I love how the virtue of honesty was associated with triangle pose.  I "got it"!  Integrity - as a Teacher I know I'll have to lead by example, to walk the walk, to have a strong yoga practice, but this really stood out to me today.  When it hurts, when it's hard, when I'm tired, when I want to sit out a posture or leave the room or lay down on my towel, now more than ever, I must have integrity.  If I can't do the yoga, breathe, and be still, how can I teach w/ integrity?  Lesson taught by Aiko (Studio owner NY & San Fran)
Another message I received this week was peace.  "Don't let anyone or anything steal your peace."  Simple, beautiful, understood.
Today is my lovely Saylor's 10th birthday.  I can't believe that I gave birth to her 10 years ago!  Being a mom has been the most important and rewarding aspect of my life for the last 10 years and it was hard being away from her today, but I know she'll be stronger and more grown up when I return...I hope also very proud.
Namaste.

No comments: